Through its members, the Committee of 100 strengthens Candler’s ties with the Church by serving as ambassadors for the School and working to stimulate interest in and support for ministerial education.
The Committee of 100 was established by the Emory University Board of Trustees in April 1954; the first meeting was held in November of that year. Once established, the Committee was instrumental in creating a one percent giving plan for churches that has grown into the Ministerial Education Fund (MEF), which now supports the United Methodist Church’s 13 theological schools. The Committee has taken on the building and renovation of facilities, has established scholarships and other endowments at Candler and at local churches to benefit Candler, and has served as a sounding board for the Dean and as ambassadors for the School. The Committee of 100 remains one of the University’s significant advisory boards – continually advancing Candler and Emory University.
Appointments to the Committee of 100 are made by the Dean of the Candler School of Theology. Membership nominations are accepted from members of the Committee, university administration, faculty, development staff, alumni, and friends. The Committee of 100 is comprised of clergy and laypersons with longstanding commitments to the life of the Church, primarily in the Southeastern Jurisdiction of the United States. Members serve three-year terms which may be extended at the request of the Dean.
Members of the Committee of 100…
For additional information, please contact:
Mathew A. Pinson
Candler School of Theology