Dr. David L. Petersen, Franklin N. Parker Professor of Old Testament
Dr. Petersen's current research focuses on the book of Genesis and on prophetic literature. He has written, co-authored or co-edited numerous books and articles. He was the senior Old Testament editor for The New Interpreter's Bible and is currently the Old Testament editor for The Common English Bible. Petersen recently served as president of the Society of Biblical Literature. He is an ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church (USA) and is a member of the Presbytery of Greater Atlanta.
Dr. Petersen is on sabbatical for the 2012-2013 academic year.
Dr. David L. Petersen
Candler School of Theology
1531 Dickey Dr.
Atlanta, GA 30322
- PhD, Yale University, 1972
- MPhil, Yale University, 1970
- BD, Yale University, 1968
- BA, College of Wooster, 1965
- Common English Bible (2010), co-editor
- Theological Bible Commentary (Westminster John Knox Press, 2009)
- A Theological Introduction to the Old Testament (Abingdon Press, 2005)
- The Prophetic Literature: An Introduction (Westminster John Knox Press, 2002)
- HarperCollins Bible commentary (HarperOne, 2000)
- Old Testament Interpretation (Abingdon Press, 1995)
- Zechariah 9-14 and Malachi (Presbyterian Publishing Corporation, 1995)
- Interpreting Hebrew Poetry (Augsburg Fortress Publishers ,1992)
- Canon, Theology, and Old Testament Interpretation (Fortress Press, 1988)
- Prophecy in Ancient Israel (Fortress Press, 1987)
- Haggai and Zechariah 1-8 (Westminster John Knox Press, 1984)
- The Roles of Israel's Prophets (Almond Press, 1981)
- Late Israelite Prophecy (Society of Biblical Literature, 1977)